Next Classes begin Monday, March 28, 2016. For more information call 754-321-5400 or click here to request information.

Financial Aid

Financial aid programs are designed to provide assistance to eligible individuals who have the ability to benefit from training and who, without assistance, would be unable to afford to attend.

Selection of students to receive financial assistance is made without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, or handicap.

Applicants for financial assistance must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. They must have a high school diploma or its equivalent, or demonstrate the ability to benefit from job preparatory training. Students are required to maintain satisfactory progress in order to continue to receive assistance.

We believe the primary responsibility for financing education lies first with the student and their family. When the total resources they can provide do not meet expenses, the Center will do everything possible to assist so that the student will not be denied an education.

The type(s) and amount of financial aid a student receives is dependent upon the cost of attendance minus the student / family contributions as determined by a needs analysis, and may include:

  • Federal Pell Grant & Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - View Website
    A need-based trust fund for non-Pell eligible students. Recipients must have a financial need as determined by Federal application processing and must be a Florida resident.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)
  • Veterans Benefits (VA)
  • Scholarships
Download these documents
FINANCIAL AID-How to App. 3 6-21-11
IRS Form 4506-T

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q : How do I apply for financial aid?

A : The student, and/or parents of a dependent student submits a FAFSA application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to the application processor, or on-line at

Sheridan's School Code is:  009902

Q : How long does the process take?

A : Normally about four to six weeks if you mail your application. If you apply online, processed applications are available in 2 weeks. You should apply as early as possible. If you apply online, be sure to complete your application with an electronic signature and PIN#. Apply for your PIN at The School Code for Sheridan Technical Center is 009902. 

Q : How will I know how much aid I qualify for?

A : Upon completion of your Financial Aid file you will be given an award letter stating the type of aid, amount, and conditions of your award.

Q : Do I have to pay my fees up front?

A : Yes, unless there is eligibility for financial aid. Sheridan Technical College does not have a payment plan.

Q : What happens if I decide to attend part-time?

A : Your aid may be reduced or canceled in some cases in order to comply with regulations or eligibility requirements.

Q : Does Sheridan Technical College do deferments for Federal Stafford Loans?

A : Yes,once a student is enrolled in a program, but we do not certify student loans.



Q : How will my fees be paid and what happens to the money that exceeds my fees?

A : The student may pay the first term fees unless arrangements are made with the Financial Aid Office or if the student is eligible for certain grants. Actual disbursement of financial aid checks is a function of the Controller's Office as requested by the Financial Aid Office. Funds are disbursed twice in an academic year in the form of a check made out to the student. The amount of the student receives is the original amount of the check minus any tuition owed.

Q : If my fees were deferred, what will happen with my financial aid?

A : The Controller's Office will deduct any tuition fees you owe the school and give you the balance (see previous question).

Q : What happens if I don't do well in my classes?

A : Financial aid regulations require that you make satisfactory academic progress. Generally, you must maintain a C average, successfully complete your classes, and maintain attendance in accordance with Federal regulations. If you do not, you may be placed on probation or denied future assistance. You may appeal if denied.

Q : How can I get information about my award?

A : You can come to the Financial Aid office to get the information. Due to the Privacy Act, only general information can be given over the phone.



Q : The financial aid application asks for information about my parents but I do not receive any support from them. What do I do?

A : Federal regulations require your eligibility to be based on your income and that of your parents' unless you are 24 years old; married, or have legal dependents other than a spouse; are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces; an orphan or ward of the court (or you were until age 18); or will be working on a degree beyond a bachelor's.

Q : What if I completely withdraw from classes, will I have to repay my financial aid?

A : Yes, if you withdraw before 60% of the term is completed, you will be required to repay a percentage of the aid you received since the funds were awarded to meet educational expenses for the entire payment period.

Documents Students May Need to Bring With Them:

  1. Independent Students:  A signed 2010 Federal IRS Tax Transcript (Form 4506-T) is required for those who are single, and married at the time of completing the FAFSA Application.  To request a form you may call the IRS Office at: 1-800-829-1040, 1-800-908-9946.  If you prefer, you may print IRS Form 4506-T from the school’s website, complete and mail it to IRS.  All Transcripts and Summary of Wages are free of charge and will be received in approximately 5 business days.
  2. Dependent Students:  A signed 2010 Federal IRS Tax Transcript is required, as well as a parent(s)’ tax transcript.  To request a form you may call the IRS Office at: 1-800-829-1040, 1-800-908-9946.  A dependent student that has not filed a 2010 IRS Tax Return, but has earned wages, will need to present an IRS Tax Transcript (IRS Form 4506-T) which shows the non-filing status and a Summary of Wages which shows the amount of income earned.
  3. Non-Tax Filers:  Request a free copy of your 2010 Non-Filers Tax Transcript and Summary of Wages to prove your non-filing status, and earnings.  A notarized letter of support may also be required to verify monies or bills paid on your behalf.  The IRS Office #s are 1-800-829-1040, 1-800-908-9946.
  4. Selective Service Letter:   If you have resided in the US between the ages of 18 to 24 years old, you must have registered with Selective Service.   Anyone who has failed to register for Selective Service before the age of 25 may no longer register, and will not be eligible for financial aid.  See Financial Aid Advisor for more information regarding Selective Service requirements.
  5. High School Diploma Requirements:  If your diploma is from out of state, or the State of Florida, or you have graduated from a Broward County High School over five years ago, be prepared to show a copy of your high school diploma and an provide an official sealed transcript.  If you have graduated from a Broward County High School within the last five years, only your high school diploma is necessary.  A student, who has earned a GED, needs to present both the GED and the test scores.
  6. Foreign High School DiplomasA student who has earned a high school diploma from a foreign country must have their diploma translated and evaluated by a Broward County School Board approved agency.  You will need to present your original diploma(s) and course transcript(s) with the letter from the evaluating agency.

  7. Ability to Benefit (ATB)You may qualify to take the Ability to Benefit Wonderlic Test for Federal Pell Grant purposes only if you have not earned a high school diploma or GED.  The test is offered the first Friday of every month at 9:00 am in the Atlantic Technical College Testing Lab.  A student has the option to earn 225 clock hours in their program of study in lieu of testing to qualify for a Federal Pell Grant.