General Educational Development (GED) Preparation:
This program provides access to individualized instruction in preparation for the tests of GED® test to those students who do not have a high school diploma and intend to enroll or are currently enrolled in Workforce Education Program. GED® Preparation includes the five subject area measured in the GED® tests:
- Language Arts
- Writing, Mathematics
- Social Studies
We offer GED® preparation in an online or face- to- face format. There is a $10 testing fee and you will need to bring a photo ID. We can then assist you with testing preparation. The actual GED® test will be scheduled for approximately 4-6 weeks after your pre-testing.
Face-to face GED® classes are available mornings and afternoons. A student has the option of a face-to-face or online class.
Sheridan Technical Center’s GED® face-to- face program is located at the new Sheridan West campus.
For more information on our test preparation, please call 754-321-5451 or 754-321-3900 (West Campus). You can work on your GED while being enrolled in a career program.
You now have two options - take your GED® Test on Computer or as a Paper Based Test
Attention GED® test-takers: Adults who take the GED® test on computer are scoring higher and finishing faster. In fact, 88% of people passed the GED® test on computer compared to 71% for those who tested on paper.
We’re so confident you’ll do well that if you don’t pass your first GED® test subject on computer, GED Testing Service will pay for your second shot! It’s that simple. You pass or they pay.
Visit GEDtestingservice.com/secondshot to learn more.
GED® testing information for paper based testing:
· Age requirement is 18 years of age.
- If you are 16 or 17 and wish to take the GED® test in Broward County there are prerequisites which must be met: you must be officially withdrawn from high school, enrolled in a GED® preparation class, and be recommended by your GED teacher.
- Valid State Driver’s License/ photo ID or Passport is required.
- GED® testing appointments must be made in advance and in person at any Adult, Community, or Technical Center in Broward County. Please contact the individual center for hours of registration. GED® testing appointments can be made at Sheridan Technical Center in Bldg. 17, room 540B between 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- A $70 testing fee is required for paper based testing – cash, credit card or money orders are accepted.
- Refunds are not available – testing appointments cannot be rescheduled.
- The GED® test is also available in Spanish; French can be provided upon special request.
- The Official GED® Test is administered at two locations in Broward County:
- Sheridan Technical Center, 5400 Sheridan Street, Hollywood, Florida, 33021
Bldg. 1, Room 139, Monday - Friday at 8:00 a.m or 5:00 p.m.
Saturday testing is available monthly, only at Sheridan.
- Atlantic Technical Center, 4700 Coconut Creek Parkway, Coconut Creek, Florida, 33063
Bldg. 2, Room 122, Tues. & Thurs. at 5:00 p.m. and Friday at 8:00 a.m.
- The GED test is an 8 hour timed test. It is administered over 2 days and lasts about 4 ½ hours each day. You must attend both days of testing. (Saturday testing is a one day test and lasts about 8 hours).
- There is a 5 minute break between each subject.
- The first day of testing consists of:
- Social Studies - 1 hour, 10 min.
- Science - 1 hour, 20 min.
- Reading - 1 hour, 5 min.
- The second day of testing consists of:
- Language Arts/Writing - 2 hours – Grammar plus an essay.
- Math - 1 hour, 30 min. You will be provided a calculator for Part I of the Math.
- You must arrive 30 minutes prior to testing and cannot be admitted once testing has begun.
- Cell phones, electronics, food or drinks are not permitted in the GED® testing room.
- Bring your valid State Driver’s License/photo ID or Passport on both days of testing- you will not be permitted to test without it.
- Everything will be provided for you (paper, pencils, and calculators).
- Test results will be sent to the office where you made your appointment approximately 6 weeks after your testing date.
- A diploma will be issued if you receive a minimum of 410 in each subject AND a combined total of 2250 or above.
- If you need to retake any sections, you need to follow the same registration procedures listed above. You are only permitted to test a total of 3 times in each subject within one calendar year. Re-testing fees for individual subjects are $14 for Social Studies, Science, Reading and Math; $16 for Writing. (prices for paper based test)
On behalf of the GED® Testing Office we wish you success in earning your High School Diploma.
Take Your GED® Test on Computer
Know your test score before you leave the center. Sheridan Technical Center now offers the GED® test on computer, a brand new way to take today’s test and earn your GED® credential. The GED® test on computer offers test-takers a better testing experience, featuring:
- Instant score results
- 24/7 registration and scheduling online
- Finish one section, move on to the next at your own pace
The GED® test on computer is a convenient new way to test. Register today and find out where you can take the GED® test on computer in Florida. Remember: The GED® test must be taken in person, at an official GED® testing center.
A testing fee of $26 per subject for computer based testing is required. Credit card payments are made online at the time of registration.
With the GED® test on computer, success is just clicks away™. Register today at www.GEDcomputer.com.
Are you ready to take the GED® test? With the GED® test on computer, success is just clicks away™. Log on to www.GEDtestingservice.com/tutorials to get an inside look at the GED® test. This tutorial website is designed to walk you through the registration and scheduling process for the GED® test. Register for the computer based test at www.GEDcomputer.com.
Required Underage Documents for Broward County computer testers:
- Provide proof of Official High School Withdrawal.
- Provide proof of passing scores on the Official GED® Practice Test.
You must be enrolled in a GED® preparation class in any Adult, Community or Technical School in Broward County and take the Official GED® Practice Test.
- Complete the Underage GED® Testing application which must be notarized and signed by a legal guardian. This form will be provided from your instructor.
- Complete the Testing Eligibility Exception form which you will receive by email once you begin the registration process for the Computer Based GED® test.
Submit all 4 documents to your GED instructor to begin the approval process.