General Educational Development (GED) Preparation:
This program provides access to individualized instruction in preparation for the tests of General Educational Development (GED) to those students who do not have a high school diploma and intend to enroll or are currently enrolled in Workforce Education Program. GED Preparation includes the five subject area measured in the GED tests:
· Language Arts
· Reading, Language Arts
· Writing, Mathematics
· Social Studies
We offer GED preparation in an online or face- to- face format. There is a $10 testing fee and you will need to bring a photo ID. We can then assist you with testing preparation. The actual GED test will be scheduled for approximately 4-6 weeks after your pre-testing.
Face-to face GED classes are available mornings and afternoons. A student has the option of a face-to-face or online class.
Sheridan Technical Center’s GED face-to- face program is located at the new Sheridan West campus.
For more information on our test preparation, please call 754-321-5451 or 754-321-3900 (West Campus). You can work on your GED while being enrolled in a career program.
You now have two options - take your GED® Test on Computer or as a Paper Based Test
Attention GED® test-takers: Adults who take the GED® test on computer are scoring higher and finishing faster. In fact, 88% of people passed the GED® test on computer compared to 71% for those who tested on paper.
We’re so confident you’ll do well that if you don’t pass your first GED® test subject on computer, GED Testing Service will pay for your second shot! It’s that simple. You pass or they pay.
Visit GEDtestingservice.com/secondshot to learn more.
GED testing information for paper based testing:
· Age requirement is 18 years of age.
- If you are 16 or 17 and wish to take the GED test in Broward County there are prerequisites which must be met: you must be officially withdrawn from high school, enrolled in a GED preparation class, and be recommended by your GED teacher.
- Valid State Driver’s License/ photo ID or Passport is required.
- GED testing appointments must be made in advance and in person at any Adult, Community, or Technical Center in Broward County. Please contact the individual center for hours of registration. GED testing appointments can be made at Sheridan Technical Center in Bldg. 17, room 540B between 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- A $70 testing fee is required for paper based testing – cash, credit card or money orders are accepted.
- Refunds are not available – testing appointments cannot be rescheduled.
- The GED test is also available in Spanish; French can be provided upon special request.
- The Official GED Test is administered at two locations in Broward County:
- Sheridan Technical Center, 5400 Sheridan Street, Hollywood, Florida, 33021
Bldg. 1, Room 139, Monday - Friday at 8:00 a.m or 5:00 p.m.
Saturday testing is available monthly, only at Sheridan.
- Atlantic Technical Center, 4700 Coconut Creek Parkway, Coconut Creek, Florida, 33063
Bldg. 2, Room 122, Tues. & Thurs. at 5:00 p.m. and Friday at 8:00 a.m.
- The GED test is an 8 hour timed test. It is administered over 2 days and lasts about 4 ½ hours each day. You must attend both days of testing. (Saturday testing is a one day test and lasts about 8 hours).
- There is a 5 minute break between each subject.
- The first day of testing consists of:
- Social Studies - 1 hour, 10 min.
- Science - 1 hour, 20 min.
- Reading - 1 hour, 5 min.
- The second day of testing consists of:
- Language Arts/Writing - 2 hours – Grammar plus an essay.
- Math - 1 hour, 30 min. You will be provided a calculator for Part I of the Math.
- You must arrive 30 minutes prior to testing and cannot be admitted once testing has begun.
- Cell phones, electronics, food or drinks are not permitted in the GED testing room.
- Bring your valid State Driver’s License/photo ID or Passport on both days of testing- you will not be permitted to test without it.
- Everything will be provided for you (paper, pencils, and calculators).
- Test results will be sent to the office where you made your appointment approximately 6 weeks after your testing date.
- A diploma will be issued if you receive a minimum of 410 in each subject AND a combined total of 2250 or above.
- If you need to retake any sections, you need to follow the same registration procedures listed above. You are only permitted to test a total of 3 times in each subject within one calendar year. Re-testing fees for individual subjects are $14 for Social Studies, Science, Reading and Math; $16 for Writing. (prices for paper based test)
On behalf of the GED Testing Office we wish you success in earning your High School Diploma.
Take Your GED® Test on Computer
Know your test score before you leave the center. Sheridan Technical Center now offers the GED® test on computer, a brand new way to take today’s test and earn your GED® credential. The GED® test on computer offers test-takers a better testing experience, featuring:
• Instant score results
• 24/7 registration and scheduling online
• Finish one section, move on to the next at your own pace
The GED® test on computer is a convenient new way to test. Register today and find out where you can take the GED® test on computer in Florida. Remember: The GED® test must be taken in person, at an official GED® testing center.
A testing fee of $26 per subject for computer based testing is required. Credit card payments are made online at the time of registration.
With the GED® test on computer, success is just clicks away™. Register today at www.GEDcomputer.com.
Required Underage Documents for Broward County computer testers:
1) Provide proof of Official High School Withdrawal.
2) Provide proof of passing scores on the Official GED Practice Test.
You must be enrolled in a GED preparation class in any Adult, Community or Technical School in Broward County and take the Official GED Practice Test.
3) Complete the Underage GED Testing application which must be notarized and signed by a legal guardian. This form will be provided from your instructor.
4) Complete the Testing Eligibility Exception form which you will receive by email once you begin the registration process for the Computer Based GED test.
Submit all 4 documents to your GED instructor to begin the approval process.